BLOG ARCHIVE

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Metropolitan Tabernacle held a celebration commemorating Charles Spurgeon’s 25th anniversary ministering in London



In 1879 the congregation and leadership of the Metropolitan Tabernacle held a celebration commemorating Charles Spurgeon’s 25th anniversary ministering in London. Spurgeon, thanking his people for this celebration, identifies what he believed to be the crown of the Tabernacle’s ministry by saying:
“Some churches have one crown, some another; our crown, under God, has been this, — the poor have the Gospel preached unto them, souls are saved, and Christ is glorified. O my beloved church, hold fast that which is to bring men to Christ. I care nothing about fine language, or about the pretty speculations of prophecy, or a hundred dainty things; but to break the heart and bind it up, to lay hold on a sheep of Christ and bring it back to the fold, is the one thing I would live for.
He goes on to identify Christ as the whole, or sum, of his ministry:
“What I have done, I shall do still; namely love you with all my heart, and love my Lord as His grace enables me. I mean to go on preaching Jesus, and His Gospel, and you may be sure I shall not preach anything else, for with me it is Christ or nothing. I am sold up, and my stock-in-trade is gone if Jesus Christ is gone, He is the sum of my ministry, my All-in-all (Arnold Dallimore, Spurgeon: A New Biography, 167).
May we all, as preachers commissioned by the LORD God, seek to echo these words of Spurgeon both in our personal lives and in our public ministry, that “I shall not preach anything else, for with me it is Christ or nothing,” and may it be said similarly of our churches that “the poor have the Gospel preached unto them, souls are saved, and Christ is glorified.”
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment