BLOG ARCHIVE

Sunday, February 12, 2017

ASSIGNMENT: CHOOSING A COLOR TO WRITE ABOUT


CHOOSING A COLOR TO WRITE ABOUT...
WRITING CLASS
Assignment from my writing Instructor: Choose a color to write about in no more than 250 words. Be creative with the color you choose.

MY SUBMISSION ON COLOR:

I was first aware of the colors in the sky, when I started a long 7 year art class in painting during the 70's and 80's. I loved painting landscapes, especially old mills, covered bridges, and barns. Rustic earthy colors put me in the mood to paint. Those colors were colors of choice for my instructor, also. After many years of painting in the colors of her choice, I wondered what I could do to make my paintings more exciting. I realized one day that the colors in the sky above brought those paintings to life; especially when I fell in love with the paintings of an artist by the name of Eric Sloan. It was the colors in his skies that were so overwhelming to me. I purchased several books on how-to-paint those skys. I could never master it. I still love looking at those books today.

When on week-end outings, with camera in hand, I would sometimes see those amazing colors of his in the sky above and yell, "Look at that Eric Sloan sky, look at that Eric Sloan sky!" Or I would say, "That's an Eric Sloan sky...oh my!"

It's hard to choose one color when you look at his paintings but, I have chosen a pinkish gray for my color for this assignment even though i know I have chosen two colors. Wouldn't you know I'd break the rules. But, I kept hearing ole' Frank in my ear, "I did it my way."

I do not paint anymore. I am leaving that to my sister, who is an amazing water colorist, in Spring, Texas. If there are those out there that are interested in her work please leave a comment about how to contact her.

Someday, I may have a desire to pick up my brushes again...we'll see. Right now I am focused on writing my next children's history book. BJ & Dobbin Meet the Presidents and First Ladies. It is the second in a series. My first was published in 2008...The Imaginary Journeys of BJ and Dobbin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment